Wednesday, January 17, 2007

2007 - Basically The Second Coming.

As I have a lot fun doing a best of at the end of each year, it's also fun to compile a list of what I'm most looking forward to for the next year. This list isn't necessarily going to be what I think the best games are going to be, but rather what I'm most looking forward to(though it's the same thing in some cases). Also, this isn't in any particular order, as trying to determine one is more trouble than it's worth, and I'd end up seating certain titles lower just because they haven't been shown off to the public too much yet.

Games Of 2007

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots - PS3

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My most anticipated game is for a console that I won't even own by the time it's released. Yeah, I'm not doing this in order, but as this is definitely my most anticipated game at the moment I figured I'd list it first. MGS4 is shaping up to be everything and more than I could have ever asked for from the story successor to MGS2. Though MGS3 was incredible, I've been waiting for the story to continue ever since I first saw the credits roll in MGS2 just over five years ago. Every trailer has left me breathless and with more questions, just like Kojima intended. I just hope I'll get to play it somewhere after it's released.

2. Halo 3 - Xbox 360

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The first trailer, shown during the final E3 last year, was the perfect way to really kick off the hype. Every time a new video or piece of information is released I just get more and more excited. Here's to hoping that Bungie can outdo themselves with the final installment in the trilogy. At least we know it won't end with a whimper.

3. Bioshock - Xbox 360, PC

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Talking about it doesn't do much good, as I'm of the opinion that one needs to really see what Irrational has created to understand just how amazing it's shaping up to be. It's incredibly atmospheric, and both the gameplay and story sound fantastic and really original.

4. Assassin's Creed - Xbox 360, PS3

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I've been looking forward to this ever since I saw the first teaser. The crowd interaction and maneuverability alone have pretty much sold me on it. I'm not really doubting the action at this point, and the fact that that Ubisoft has been really uptight about some of the story elements has me excited.

5. Mass Effect - Xbox 360

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I have no previous experience with Bioware's console games, but it looks like this will be a good place to start. Part one of what can only be a really, really long trilogy, some aspects of the game have been really, really impressive. Also, considering Bioware's track record, it's practically guaranteed to be an awesome time.

6. God Of War II - PS2

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Even after hearing all the hype and praise, I didn't play the original until far after it was released, and I was floored when I did. Aside from the acursed towers that are hated by everyone who played the game, it was great. That's a small complaint, anyway. They weren't even as bad as the skeleton archers from Ninja Gaiden. The sequel seems to be bringing back everything good from the original and really upping everything. I can't wait to kill more innocents.

7. Super Mario Galaxy - Wii

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Finally. I, along with the other plumber-loving gamers in the world, have been patiently awaiting for a more traditional sequel to Super Mario 64 for years, as Sunshine has never really appealed to me. Galaxy, however, sends me into a state of euphoria everytime I get another glimpse of it. To use entire planets as stepping stones is just awesome. Please, God, let this fall come quickly.

8. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Wii

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

While there hasn't been much info. released in the past couple months, it's still hard for me not to get excited over MP3. I'm a huge Metroid fan, and I loved the first two Prime titles. Retro Studios is basically incapable of doing anything wrong in my mind, except for the fact that they added long-winded fetch quests to the ends of both games. The new actions that have been implemented on the Wii look really immersive, and all other news so far has been pretty positive. Also, I'm glad to see Retro mixing things up some. Corruption will feature a stacking beam system like the Metroids of yore, and players will actually be able to travel to different planets via the ship. The only thing I'm worried about at this point is the dialogue. I love the silent, lonely feel of Metroid games. It plays a huge part in adding to the atmosphere when there isn't any spoken dialogue to break things up. To be fair, I'm also more than willing to have some faith in Retro to hold things down in that department. Also, Jennifer Hale is a fantastic voice actress, and I think she's more than capable of doing a good job. Also, I say a prayer each night at my Metroid shrine in hopes that MP3 will actually see a release by mid-summer.

"Oh great Chozo gods
Return thy armored saint by mid-year
So she may smite Ridley yet again

Oh money-loving Nintendo
Deliver us power ups by mid-summer
So we might bomb jump once more

Thy will be done
Space pirates be torn a new one
On Earth as it is on Zebes

Amen
"

9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Wii

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Never in my life did I expect to see the above fight taking place. Two great, if not my favorite, video game characters taking it to each other. I'm a big fan of the first two installments, and I can't begin to count the hours I've spent with them. With the release of Brawl this year I'll honestly need very little else to play. And if we actually do get a nice, online play setup, all will be right in the world. In the meantime I'm hopefully awaiting the announcement of a few more new characters. Nintendo needs to work out a deal to get Sonic in, if only to appease me(and the tons of other fans clamoring for it).

10. Lunar Knights - DS

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A random screenshot doesn't too much for a DS game, so in case anyone is unfamiliar with LK, I recommend checking it out. I spent a good deal of last year anticipating it, only to have it eventually pushed back into '07. I can't complain much, though. It looks extremely promising, and it's great to see it putting both screens to good use. Instead of requiring actual sunlight like the Boktai series did, Lunar Knights instead uses the top screen to simulate a variety of weather conditions, letting games stay couped up in their rooms.

While I only listed ten titles here, there are many, many other games coming out this year with plenty of potential. Mike listed a number of games that I didn't, so feel free to check out his blog and see what else is dropping this year.

5 comments:

Cody Musser said...

I LOVE Number 6!

Cody Musser said...

The isometric viewpoint of Lunar Knights scares me too much to consider it something amazing until I get some final previews calling it fantastic.

Nathan said...

That's understandable, though the isometric view never seems to be a problem in other games. However, it sure was in Scurge. 20 minutes in and I was getting fed up.

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of Lunar Knights before, and when I went and read some previews on it, I thought the exact same thing as Cody... Isometric view + Action game = problems. I'll wait to see how it turns out before I start getting pumped over the title.

They weren't even as bad as the skeleton archers from Ninja Gaiden.

NOTHING in gaming history is as bad as the Skeleton Archers from Ninja Gaiden. I cursed Itagaki's soul on the day I got to that part of the game.

Nathan said...

Instead of taking it out in Sigma like they should do, they'll most likely just add more archers. You know, because they want people to enjoy it.